Sir William Ogbourne (his surname is spelt with and without the letter ‘u’ in various records) left an impressive record of public service in the city of London in the early 18th Century, including as an Elder Brother of the Trinity House, Master and Sheriff of the Carpenters Company, and Governor of St Thomas’ Hospital in London.
St Olave’s church, in Hart Street, close to the Tower of London bears a commemorative plaque to Sir William Ogborne who held a number of high offices in the City of London in the 18th century. St Olave’s church was the parish church of the famous diarist and Secretary to the Admiralty Samuel Pepys, and was also well known to the author Charles Dickens, who described St Olave’s Church as ‘The Church of St Ghastly Grim’ due to the macabre skulls over an entrance arch Records of Sir Williams participation in the deliberations of the Carpenters Company (of which Sir William was a Master and Sheriff of the Carpenters Company) appear in http://www.londonlives.org/ on numerous pages. Sir William is also listed as a donor towards new buildings at the prestigious St Thomas Hospital, and as a member of Court of Governors of St Thomas’ Hospital. Quote: Grand Committee Mercur 6o. Octobr 1725 Ordered that Green Staffs be sent to Thomas Edwards Francis Coulston and William Ogbourne Esqr . who are now Chosen Governours of this Hospital. November 1998. In an exhibition in the White Tower of the Tower of London opened by H.M.The Queen an example of Sir William’s work is exhibited. Golden Carvings by William Wade 1708 from the Master General’s (John Churchill 1st Duke of Marlborough) Barge are shown along with the Cabin Ceiling by ‘The Master Carpenter William Ogbourne’. The Trinity Green Almshouses built in 1695 by the Corporation of Trinity House to provide housing for “28 decay’d Masters & Commanders of Ships or ye Widows of such”; The almshouses were designed by Sir William Ogbourne.
Near this Place Lyes the Body of Sr WILLIAM OGBORNE Kn. who dyed October 13th 1734 aged 72 He was Master Carpenter to the Office of Ordinance 35 years Sheriff of this City Colonel of the Militia; An Elder Brother of the Trinity House, And one of his Majefty’s Juftices &c; A most tender Husband, loving Parent Sincere & kind Friend; a Man of great Piety and Virtue, mix’d with much Candour and Humanity; Endued with a Noble and Generous Difpofition; Always ready to Comfort and relieve the Poor and in every Circumftance of Life worthy of Imitation Alfo the LADY JOYCE Relict of Sr. Wm. Ogborne Kt who Departed this Life Augt. 4th 1744