Ogbourne, Ogborne, Ogborn, or Ogburn surname though spelling often varies for the same person at different times when the person themselves may not have been able to write. For this reason we recommend regarding them as the same name.
The areas in which numbers of Ogb*rn* families have lived for several centuries include as follows:
- Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire and neighbouring towns/villages from the 16th century onwards, and also extending into areas of London in the late 19th century and later.
- Nempnett Thrubwell, Somerset and surrounding area since the 17th century onwards, including the villages of Wrington, Butcombe, Winford, Chew Stoke, Ubley. Many Ogbornes in Bristol originate in this area.
- Thornbury in Gloucestershire, including some Quakers in Chipping Sodbury.
- Kingston on Thames, Surrey. Some from this area settled in South Wales.
- Oxfordshire in the Wargrave area
- Berkshire – in Chieveley and other areas.
- London area, including Essex, Surrey & Sussex from 17th and 18th centuries.
The editor of this website maintains a number of family trees for Ogb*rn*s living in the above areas which are accessible to those using Ancestry website. Some are extensive, and a number represent work in progress. If you don’t have an ‘Ancestry’ account and are searching for Ogb**rn information in any of the above areas we would do our best to help.
The Somerset Ogbornes who included a very successful family of Ploughmen all appear to be descended from William Ogbourne who seems to have been an in-comer to the area and married Sarah Wedmore at Nempnett Thrubwell in 1657. William may have come from Wootton Bassett.(Grandson of Peter Ogbourne)
There is a variety of information in this website which may help family history researchers/